The value of broadband comes from how it is used.
To advance your economy in a digital world, ensure your local businesses, households, and organizations have the broadband they need and the capabilities to use it. These gaps are causing a growing digital divide in localities which negatively impacts local economic and community vitality as:
- Local businesses miss out on new ways of doing business and the accompanying revenue opportunities
- Local households miss out on better access to services (health, education, civic) and remote working opportunities, which negatively impacts their quality of life
- Businesses that are noncompetitive or that cannot be found online, will decline which negatively impacts the locality’s tax base and quality of life
How end users leverage technology is what we at SNG call ‘utilization’, which include securing more meaningful employment through teleworking, children able to use the internet for their homework, seniors able to interact with health providers online, or businesses able to operate more effectively with online applications. With increased awareness along with capability to use technology, people can better leverage technology based on what is most meaningful to them.
Steps Toward Digital Transformation
SNG’s Digital Transformation Program helps people expand their understanding what is possible online and helping them to adopt more of those practical uses.
Digital transformation is about changing what people do online in ways that become personally beneficial and that often have tangible impacts, whether this is related to personal lifestyle and productivity or, in the case of businesses, operational and financial improvements. The program is tailored to your community based on inputs from your residents and businesses using SNG’s proven data collection tools and analysis.
|Steps toward Digital Transformation||Outcomes|
|Step 1 – Assess demand and measure current state of broadband availability and use (AS-IS State)||
|Step 2 – Identify learning and skills needs for target demographic groups and business sectors (TO-BE State)
|Step 3 – Raise awareness and drive utilization to leverage technology
|Step 4 – Track progress and outcomes
|Step 5 – Share success stories and lessons learned||
‘Setting the Table’ to Grow the Economy through Broadband
With affordable, ubiquitous broadband, the ‘table is set’ for all to benefit – but who in the community will take a seat at the table? Many will be eager to leverage technology, but others may not feel ready or able. By understanding gaps, barriers, and opportunities – with both local businesses and households – SNG can work with you to develop a plan that converts market potential into broadband demand and economic growth. Data collected from households and businesses provides evidence-based insights to customize your plan, that may include the following:
- Awareness Campaign
- Follow-up to online data collection to share selected results
- Promotion of the value of using broadband
- Promotion of planned information learning sessions
- Leverage available local channels
- Learning Sessions and Resources
- Local workshops
- Webinars (live and recorded)
- Focus on demographic groups and/or topics of interest
- Recruit subject matter experts
- One-on-one support for businesses
- Digital Economy index (DEi) Scorecards
- Online eBusiness learning modules
- Networking with local support resources
- Tracking progress and outcomes
- Methods for follow-up with participating residents and businesses
- Analysis of impacts and recommendations for additional plan activity
- Methods for sharing individual success stories and integrating them in awareness campaign
The payoff from investing in digital transformation is increased economic vitality.
Not everyone will want help or take action. The measure of success is in giving the opportunity to everyone and helping those who want it.