Who We Are
Founded in 1998, Strategic Networks Group (SNG) helps communities and regions transform local economic opportunities, quality of life, and access to essential services through broadband and digital infrastructure.
SNG’s work is most relevant to elected officials and financial officers who want to know whether economic growth and community benefits outweigh the costs of broadband and digital infrastructure investments – and how to drive that digital transformation. For nearly two decades Strategic Networks Group has been helping communities and regions focus on the ‘demand side’ of broadband, digital infrastructure, and transformation because benefits are the drivers for technology investments – such as a municipality saving 86% in telecommunication and internet costs.
SNG is agnostic to technology and network business models which are the ‘supply side’ of broadband. Our mission is to help communities and regions get the best value for their ratepayers from technology investments and to maximize sustainable economic development opportunities in an increasingly digital world.
- Enable communities and regions to address gaps in broadband, digital infrastructure and transformation without raising taxes, nor taking on unsustainable debt
- Increase broadband network sustainability by driving demand for smart city and online business applications
- Identify opportunities to implement smart community services (ehealth, elearning, AI-based security solutions, transportation technology, IoT initiatives, etc.) that pay for themselves and enhance local quality of life
Clients have used SNG’s work to drive economic development through broadband, address digital divides and infrastructure gaps, and develop programming and legislation to fund digital infrastructure and regional development initiatives.
SNG is globally recognized as the leader in helping clients understand the econometrics of broadband and maximize the benefits of investing in digital transformation and smart community technologies. Applying our proven methodologies (e.g. Digital Economy Benchmarking) across the globe, we help communities and regions across North America and internationally. We work with government agencies at all levels, utilities, and economic and regional development agencies – anyone who wants to maximize the economic impacts and community benefits from broadband and digital infrastructure investments.
Digital infrastructure is the required platform for economic sustainability and growth, smart community services, local innovation, economic development and community vitality. By taking an economic longer-term, community-benefits approach to investing in infrastructure, next generation connectivity can be made available ubiquitously and affordably – at SNG we call this the economic case for investing in broadband and digital infrastructure.
Our mission is to help communities and regions understand the local economic growth opportunities and quality of life improvements enabled by meaningful use of digital infrastructure and smart community services. With the empirical evidence that SNG collects and actionable planning intelligence we develop for communities and regions, we help our clients make evidence-based and data backed decisions, build buy-in, and build an action plan focused on outcomes that engages the community and providers to:
- Address gaps in broadband and digital infrastructure availability and utilization without raising taxes, nor taking on unsustainable debt
- Grow the market for digital infrastructure and drive network sustainability by driving demand for smart community services and online business applications
- Identify opportunities to implement enhanced essential services (smart community services, telehealth, elearning, AI-based security solutions, transportation technology, IoT initiatives, etc.) that pay for themselves and enhance local quality of life.
- Delivering client value and achieving sustainable outcomes.
- Recognizing our clients have different needs and goals and delivering actionable plans that meet their current and future needs.
- Provide evidence-based insights and solutions that cannot be found anywhere else to guide local and regional decision-making.
- Our methods and tools help lead our clients to sustainable solutions for their region’s economic advancement and quality of life improvements.
While connectivity is essential, SNG’s research shows that adoption and utilization is what drives economic growth. Advanced use of online applications and smart community services – what we call e-solutions – is the fundamental driver in network sustainability. SNG’s holistic approach helps communities and regions ensure digital infrastructure and enhanced essential services deliver the promised economic and social benefits.
By quantifying the economic and community benefits of investments in digital infrastructure and online services, our clients have empirical evidence to build consensus on gaps that need to be addressed and make the case for investments in digital infrastructure — especially where there is not enough of a business case for the private sector to invest.
The “build it and they will come” approach does not maximize digital infrastructure investments. Without utilization, investments are less likely to achieve the expected community benefits and may not be sustainable long-term. SNG provides the tools and resources to drive utilization and help communities meet their future goals.
Ubiquitous, affordable, high-capacity and reliable digital infrastructure is essential for the effective participation of businesses and citizens in a digital world, creating a platform for innovation that brings economic and social benefits to a region. Communities must take ownership of their broadband strategies to ensure economic sustainability, growth and future success. These strategies need to look beyond availability.
SNG’s unique approach begins with citizens and businesses — the demand side of digital infrastructure and smart community services. We ask what can and should local businesses, organizations, and citizens be doing online to be more competitive and to improve services. Most importantly, digital infrastructure and smart community investments are necessary to stay relevant in an increasingly digital economy. The smart community and connectivity challenges localities and regions face can be overcome and SNG accomplishes this by addressing demand drivers and personalizing the value of digital infrastructure and smart city services to individual businesses, organizations, and citizens.
SNG’s goal is to help communities get the digital infrastructure they need and get the most out of the broadband they have.
Newsletter Sign Up
"Bandwidth" SNG Blog - View all
SNG in the News - View all