A true broadband impact and market assessment helps you forecast take rates for services, as well as tells you why and how broadband matters to the community – this further engages stakeholders in your project. Before launching your broadband project make sure you find out about your market:
- Who wants broadband services and why?
- What are the barriers to overcome?
- How do people view the benefits – to them and to the community?
- What impact will your project have on the community?
- Are your goals aligned with your residents and businesses?
Investing in broadband and digital infrastructure for your community and region should achieve three mutually reinforcing goals:
- Provide broadband to unserved or underserved areas.
- Ensure network sustainability, driven by subscriber demand for high-value services.
- Use broadband and digital infrastructure as a platform for economic growth and delivery of smart community services.
Achieving these goals and overcoming digital divides can be put at risk by overly focusing on broadband availability. ‘Build it and they will come’ is a risky strategy. Growing demand and driving community benefits from the network investment requires planning and evidence-based decisions. Investing in sustainability is as important as investing in the network build itself.
Uncover Demand and Maximize Value from Broadband
SNG collects and analyzes user data from households, businesses, and organizations to prepare a Broadband Impact and Market Assessment of broadband needs and service gaps at a community or regional level. We identify current and potential demand for services across market segments so you can:
- Estimate your target market for business plans and deployment plans
- Forecast potential subscriptions and market share
- Formulate effective marketing campaigns based on market insights
- Engage with your community more effectively with targeted messaging
- Show how and why broadband matters relevant to the community
SNG provides elected officials, financial officers, local leaders, etc. the data points and insights they need to make evidence-based decisions on the potential sustainability of investments in broadband, digital infrastructure, and digital transformation. See our Success Stories for examples how we can help you – such as Custer County, Colorado, where we documented broadband needs, identified gaps in service, and estimated job and economic impacts from a $2million investment in broadband infrastructure.
Broadband Market Demand and Economic Baseline
Investing in broadband networks is a major undertaking. Planning for and ensuring the outcomes from your investment is essential. This comes down to two principal and related dimensions:
- Maximize service uptake and revenue generation for sustainable operations.
- Enable and promote effective use of the network for user benefits and to drive demand.
Addressing these dimensions proactively allows networks to fulfill the promise of economic advancement and increase demand for high margin, robust service subscriptions and value added services, such as; offsite data storage, hosted application, website design and hosting, etc. SNG’s Market Demand and Economic Baseline provides municipal and utility networks with the following fact-based analysis:
- Levels of demand for current and potential services – provides new revenue streams and higher average revenue per user for network operators and their partners.
- Impacts that quantify the story – baseline data can be updated and used to demonstrate network return on investment over time.
- Levels of utilization – identifies gaps, barriers and opportunities from which strategies and programs can be developed to bridge digital divide issues in the community.
Take Stock, Measure Demand, and Meet It
The Market Demand and Economic Baseline tools combine SNG’s proven data collection metrics and methods within your market with our analysis and research applied to your data. Both aspects are closely related and comprise a holistic approach to planning your network and delivering value from your network. The result is a sustainable network that delivers measurable positive impacts for your communities.
Broadband Market Demand
|Focus on identifying service demand and driving revenues.||Focus on identifying and driving network benefits, for users and for the community.|
|Understand the current state of broadband use and needs in your market||Understand the gaps and opportunities for broadband use in your market|
|Identify actual and potential demand for services across market segments||Estimate the economic impact of opportunities from your network investment|
|Assess the potential for driving demand for services and increasing revenues||Measure the impacts of the network and quantify its benefits|
Establishing the baseline early and identifying demand drivers from the outset better positions municipal and utility networks to quickly achieve and maintain sustainability and gain measurable outcomes for the community.
Who can benefit from this service?
The Market Demand and Economic Baseline service is ideal for municipal and utility network providers who are:
In the planning stages of a broadband network who need to:
- Understand the economic return on investing in broadband infrastructure as a platform for the community
- Understand how to move forward quickly, build community buy-in, and avoid pitfalls
- Sustainably finance a network backbone for local anchor institutions (municipal and county facilities, schools, public safety, etc.)
- Sustainably finance last-mile network rollouts
In the stages of deployment and operation of a broadband network and need to:
- Measure the impacts from local investment in broadband infrastructure
- Grow local demand and drive meaningful use of the network
- Understand models and methods to help networks become sustainable and maximize community return on investment
See our Success Stories for examples of how we can help you – or contact us about how we can help your project achieve success.
Newsletter Sign Up
"Bandwidth" SNG Blog - View all
SNG in the News - View all